Thursday, June 4, 2009

AZ Bark Scorpion 3 Sting Experience!!!!

So, as most of you are already aware, the Arizona Bark Scorpion is rampant in AZ, and is considered one of the few species of scorpions that pose a health threat to humans, especially those that are under the age of 2, or the elderly. In the house where we currently reside, we have had several encounters with scorpions between the one chasing me from under the stove, to few hanging out on the cool dampness of our back patio where the kiddy pool is. Both of my girls know not to touch them, not to play in the rocks, not play outside without tennis shoes on, etc. They also know that if they do touch it, it will sting them and they will have to go to the hospital and it will be very scary.
Well, I think of everyone in the house, I am the most scared of those little buggars, not only because I am not a fan of pain, but I REALLY don't want them near my children... PERIOD!
In my room, I have a memory foam mattress laying on the floor next to the bed for nights when I can't sleep on the real bed. Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I crashed out on the floor on my memory foam to be so rudely awaken by an unsuspected bed-mate! I woke up with my arm on FIRE! I couldn't figure out what the problem was, it was hot, and as I stood there staring at no signs of fowl play on my arm, it was getting hotter and hotter. I washed it with soap and water instinctively, and looked at it again. There they were. 2 red welts. I knew I had been bitten by something and there are only 2 things around here it could be: a spider, or a scorpion. In tears due to the searing pain on my underarm, I started shaking out the pillows and bedding. I got to the sheet, and PLOP! The uninvited culprit his the carpet and sent me into panic. This was my worst nightmare, but I wasn't sleeping. An almost grown bark scorpion scurried back to my bed. I yelled to Brook that I had been stung by a scorpion and ran out to get some ice for my arm and some packaging tape.
I iced my arm, and Brook caught and destroyed the creature with the tape. I laid in bed after that for an hour trying to get comfortable enough to go back to sleep. My hand started to go numb, then my lips, tongue, cheeks, nose, throat, my whole other arm, my feet. I called poison control to find out what to do. They said everything I was going through was common, but to watch out for difulty in swallowing or breathing. I sort of slept in and out until the kids woke up. Then, I took a shower hoping to get the day started, and discovered I couldn't walk, or hold a pen.
We took the kids to day care and Brook took me to the hospital. I thought I was only stung 2 times, but it was really 3. Because I was stung so many times, I had some symptoms that were not common for adults, like inability to walk, and tingly feelings all over.
So all they could do is pain management, 2 shots in the booty: morphine, and one of "ols" (stadol, demerol, soemthing.) and a perscription for percocet and mass doses of IBprofen.
Magically, I can walk again. Symtoms should subside within 24 hours or so.
If my kid ever shows any kind of screaming pain, immediately to the ER, no waiting around for symptoms. Jeez.

1 comment: